Wednesday, May 6, 2009

What's In A Name

Standing on her balcony, crying out to the stars, Juliet asks,

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

But, in reality, names, like words in general, do have meaning, and they do convey ideas and images to others.

And so, why choose to title my blog as I have?

The short answer is that I am an adopted daughter of the King of The Universe (aka: God). I was given this opportunity through the sacrifice of Jesus, the first born of the redeemed.

I accepted this gift and, as an adopted daughter of a king, I am thus a princess.

As a soldier formerly serving as a US Army Infantry officer, and one who still sees a need to assail the odd errant windmill, scale ivory towers of intolerance and work to right social ills, both from a human as well as heavenly perspective, I am called to live as a warrior.

There are many other titles that could also be included, but to do so would make the title longer than many of my future reflections.

I challenge you, the reader, to give this blog a chance. Ride with it a while. See for yourself that while I am a woman whose faith is central to her life, my perspective is unique and will often prove challenging, if not controversial, to readers on every side of an issue.

This is good.

A little thought never hurt anyone, and a lot of thought can only prove to make the world a better place.


While my faith is central to who I am, I strongly believe in the old adage "more is caught than taught," and hope that my whole personality comes through [ and my sense of humor, you are in for a real treat
, there ;) ] and that something in who I am may show someone that it is okay to believe as I do and still be who you are. In that light, the purpose of this blog is not to proselytize, or cram any form of religion into anyone's brain housing group, rather its purpose is:
  • To afford me an opportunity to vent my spleen on issues about which I feel strongly;
  • To allow me to regale the universe with my vast knowledge and wisdom regarding all subjects, public or private, be they plant, mineral or animal; larger or smaller than a bread box; and brought to you in living color;
  • To offer some perspectives on contemporary issues;
  • To at times offer my opinions on matters of faith for discussion and consideration;
  • To accomplish other goals as determined to be necessary by the management (the standard blanket "other duties as required" clause common to all job descriptions).
I kind of hope that I will get the opportunity to comment on a wide variety of topics, only one of which is my faith. You can expect to see book reviews, movie reviews, social commentary, the odd advice column (odd being the operative term), announcements of events of interest, personal accounts on the course of my life, and musings & ruminations on random (and not so random) thoughts.

And anything else I find of interest...after all it IS my blog.

E.

PS, as this is new technology for me, there will undoubtedly be moments where I so seriously botch what I am doing it will come across as if written in some obscure ancient dialect of Klingon. But its my party and I will try if I want to...


1 comment:

chrissieB said...

Erin said..

"as this is new technology for me, there will undoubtedly be moments where I so seriously botch what I am doing it will come across as if written in some obscure ancient dialect of Klingon. But its my party and I will try if I want to... "

Doing fine so far. Go for it, girl..!

love
chrissie
xxxx